Updated: May 16
Learn why environmental hormones could be the cause of your hormonal imbalance (especially if you have polycystic ovary syndrome symptoms) & how to reduce them!
I feel the organic approach to food needs to be extended to household and cosmetic products we use on a daily basis. Unfortunately nowadays products made with toxic chemicals are widespread and we don’t realise how much they can interfere with our endocrine system, thus often causing hormonal imbalance in women.
WHAT ARE XENOESTROGENS?
Xenoestrogens are man-made chemicals miming effect of natural oestrogen (female sex hormone) and are very toxic for the body. Any toxins that are not deactivated by the liver, they get stored in fat cells and can be very harmful.
They are particularly harmful to women already suffering from hormonal imbalances such as oestrogen dominant conditions ( Polycystic ovary syndrome, Endometriosis, Fibroids, besides women presenting PMS symptoms, Breast cancer history and Unexplained Infertility.
Unfortunately, nowadays xenoestrogens are widely diffuse, and can be found in:
- soft plastic and food packaging - steroids in non-organic products (food, cosmetic, household)
- tap water. Many studies have demonstrated the high percentage of residues from steroids, fluoride, different drugs, HRT and contraceptive pill in our tap water as if we are drinking the medications left by others.
WHAT CAN WE DO TO AVOID XENOESTROGENS AND IMPROVE HORMONAL IMBALANCE IN WOMEN?
1) HOW TO IMPROVE HORMONAL IMBALANCE, PMS & PCOS SYMPTOMS No.1:
CHOOSE YOUR FOOD WITH AWARENESS
- Drink Filtered water
- Replace plastic bottle with BPA free or stainless steel
- Don't microwave (if you do it, avoid reheating in plastic)
- Limit food from cans (always lined with BPA)
- Avoid wrap food in cling film (store in paper or no PVC cling films)
- Eat Phytoestrogen rich foods, such as broccoli, carrots, legumes (beans, peas, peanuts), oranges, soy (tofu, tempeh, miso, soy milk). Phytoestrogen help balances the body's oestrogen levels by binding to the same oestrogen receptor sites that xenoestrogens do. When a receptor site is already occupied by a phytoestrogen, xenoestrogens can't attach to it.
- Buy organic fruit and vegetables. Pesticides tax the liver and interfere with testosterone levels. Try to choose Organic products whenever possible, especially when getting any plant from the "Dirty Dozens”:
2) HOW TO IMPROVE HORMONAL IMBALANCE, PMS & PCOS SYMPTOMS No.2:
BUY OR MAKE YOUR OWN NATURAL PRODUCTS
- Opt for natural toiletries as the skin highly absorb chemicals in creams
- Use Processed Chlorine Free paper products (which are not bleached) when buying tampons, teabag, toilet paper etc..
- Get 100% Organic Light absorbency tampons. Chemical Tampons: contain Dioxin which is an organo-chlorine that mimics sex hormones, therefore affecting the endocrine system and contributing to hormonal imbalance in women. Dioxin is easily absorbed by the vagina wall and can accumulate over time dry out the vagina, especially the highly absorbing ones introduce Oxygenin in the vagina, creating a breeding ground for bacterias to grow, therefore increasing the chances of getting cystitis or making it worse.
- Avoid deodorants with parabens or aluminium. Different studies are starting to show the involvement of these chemicals with a birth defect, breast cancer and diseases such as Dementia and Alzheimer. Healthy substitutes for these chemicals include grapefruit seed extract, vitamin E and essential oils such as cinnamon, eucalyptus, lavender, tea tree and lemon.
- Avoid chemical hair dye, especially during ovulation, pregnancy and breastfeeding. It enters the bloodstream directly and may contribute to the development of cancer. Try this DIY hairspray instead.
- Avoid chemical insect repellant. You can try natural alternatives such as citronella for mosquitos, basil for insects and flies, cayenne pepper and mint for ants. You can easily make your own with very few ingredients.
* Avoid fluoride that can be found mostly in toothpaste and tap water! Fluoride not only worsens Hormonal imbalance conditions such as polycystic ovary syndrome, but it may also contribute to Down’s Syndrome, Osteoporosis and Ovarian cancer.
* Avoid toilet air freshener. Diffuse pure Essential Oils instead to freshen and purify the air or watch the video below to make your own.
* Use natural household cleaning products (i.e Doterra, Ecover or use baking soda and vinegar) Or learn to make your own
3) HOW TO IMPROVE HORMONAL IMBALANCE, PMS & PCOS SYMPTOMS No.3:
LEARN HOW MEDICATION MAY CONTRIBUTE TO HORMONAL BALANCE IN WOMEN
(*check this article about “MEDICATION & MENSTRUAL CYCLE SYMPTOMS” as some medication influence brain chemistry, therefore the endocrine system too, affect your hormonal balance, your menstrual cycle and may reduce your chances of getting pregnant.
4) HOW TO IMPROVE HORMONAL IMBALANCE, PMS & PCOS SYMPTOMS No.4:
TAKE CARE OF YOUR LIVER
Learn “WHAT ARE THE BEST NATURAL REMEDIES & HEALTHY FOOD FOR LIVER PROBLEMS” in this short article
If you enjoyed this post I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread by emailing it to a friend or sharing it on your favourite social. Thank you!
If you would like more healthy living tips like these, make sure you sign up for our monthly e-newsletter!
We hope you now have a better idea of how to improve women's health (hormonal imbalances, PCOS symptoms) by avoiding environmental hormones & switching to more natural alternatives.