ENVIRONMENTAL HORMONES (A.K.A. XENOESTROGENS): THE ROOT CAUSE OF YOUR HORMONAL IMBALANCE?
I feel the organic approach to food needs to be extended to household and cosmetic products we use on a daily basis. Unfortunately nowadays products made with toxic chemicals are widespread and we don’t realise how much they can interfere with our hormonal balance.
WHAT ARE XENOESTROGENS?
HOW TO LIMIT THIS?
1) CHOOSE YOUR FOOD WITH AWARENESS
- Drink Filtered water
- Replace plastic bottle with BPA free or stainless steel
- Don't microwave (if you do it, avoid reheating in plastic)
- Limit food from cans (always lined with BPA)
- Avoid wrap food in cling film (store in paper or non PVC cling films)
- Eat Phytoestrogen rich foods, such as broccoli, carrots, legumes (beans, peas, peanuts), oranges, soy (tofu, tempeh, miso, soy milk). Phytoestrogen help balance the body's oestrogen levels by binding to the same oestrogen receptor sites that xenoestrogens do. When a receptor site is already occupied by a phytoestrogen, xenoestrogens can't attach to it.
- Buy organic fruit and vegetables. Pesticides tax the liver and interfere with testosterone levels. Try to choose Organic products whenever possible, especially when getting any plant from the "Dirty Dozens”:
2) BUY OR MAKE YOUR OWN NATURAL PRODUCTS:
- Opt for natural toiletries as the skin highly absorb chemicals in creams
- Use Processed Chlorine Free paper products (which are not bleached) when buying tampons, teabag, toilet paper etc..
- Avoid deodorants with parabens or aluminium. Different studies are starting to show the involvement of these chemicals with birth defect, breast cancer and diseases such as Dementia and Alzeihmer. Healthy substitutes for these chemicals include grapefruit seed extract, vitamin E and essential oils such as cinnamon, eucalyptus, lavender, tea tree and lemon.
- Avoid chemical hair dye, especially during ovulation, pregnancy and breast feeding. It enters the bloodstream directly and may contribute to the development of cancer. Try this DIY hairspray instead.
- Avoid chemical insect repellant. You can try natural alternatives such as citronella for mosquitos, basil for insects and flies, cayenne pepper and mint for ants. You can easily make your own with very few ingredients.
* Avoid fluoride that can be found mostly in toothpaste and tap water! Fluoride may contribute to Down’s Syndrome, Osteoporosis and Ovarian cancer.
* Use natural household cleaning products (i.e Doterra, Ecover or use baking soda and vinegar) Or learn to make your own
* Avoid toilet air freshener. Diffuse pure Essential Oils instead to freshen and purify the air or watch the video below to make your own.
3) LEARN HOW MEDICATION MAY AFFECT YOUR HORMONAL BALANCE
(*check this article about “Medication and Fertility” as some medication affect your cycle and may reduce your chances of getting pregnant
Learn how “Liver Health affects Fertility” in this short article
An important part of my practice is women’s health and fertility. We have helped multiple women with PMS, fibromyalgia, menopause symptoms as well as women trying for a baby with natural methods or using IVF.
If you are looking to boost your reproductive health in a natural way, we suggest you try now of these popular choices:
Xenoestrogens are man made chemicals miming effect of natural oestrogen (female sex hormones) and are very toxic for the body. Any toxins that is not deactivated by the liver, it is store in fat cells and can be very harmful.
They are particularly harmful for women already suffering from oestrogen dominant conditions such as PCOS, Endometriosis, Fibroids, besides women presenting PMS, Breast cancer history and Unexplained Infertility.
Unfortunately nowadays xenoestrogens are widely diffuse, and can be found in:
- soft plastic and food packaging - steroids in non organic products (food, cosmetic, household)
- tap water. Many studies have demonstrated the high percentage of residues from steroids, fluoride, different drugs, HRT and contraceptive pill in our tap water as if we are drinking the medications left by others.
- Get 100% Organic Light absorbency tampons. Chemical Tampons: contain Dioxin which is an organo-chlorine that mimics sex hormones, therefore affecting your reproductive hormonal balance. Dioxin is easily absorbed by the vagina wall and can accumulate over time dry out the vagina, especially the highly absorbing ones introduce Oxygenin in vagina, creating a breeding ground for bacterias to grow, therefore increasing the chances of getting cystitis or making it worse.